There are numerous icons and symbols used in iTunes (v12.3) and Music (IOS 9). Most of their meanings are pretty straightforward, but often, only after the meaning is known!? Here are their meanings:
- will add Allen Stone as a favourite (for later quick retrieval).
- will create a radio station with music similar to Allen Stone,
- will allow Allen Stone to be shared.
- allows a search of music,
- is for adjusting your account settings,
- plays the music,
- , , , , or along the bottom changes the section of Music:
- For You is music that Apple thinks you make like (based on your listened to and downloaded music),
- New is, well, things new in Music,
- Radio is, well, radio stations based on different genres of music, Connect is social media connection with artists you follow (or Apple has decided you may want to follow), and
- My Music is the music that you have uploaded/downloaded/chosen to listen to.
- The (an ‘E’, which appears in red in iTunes) means that the music contains ‘explicit content’.
- The means there are more options available.
On this page of iTunes (which can be clicked to view larger):
- (a dotted cloud) means ‘waiting to be processed and uploaded to the cloud’. I’m not too sure what this means that iTunes is doing, as I’ve had this symbol on some of my tunes (e.g. The Beatles) for months and nothing has happened. [See comment by Jacob Landes below]
- means that the song(s) is available to be downloaded to the device (for offline play)
- There are many other cloud symbols, their meanings explained at Apple.
- means to add a playlist (‘smart’, normal, or otherwise)
- means to action the selected playlist (e.g. edit it, burn it, duplicate it, etc)
- is the volume control. Slide (drag) to increase/decrease the volume.
- is the previous track
- is the next track
- is to shuffle the music/play in a random order
- redirects the sound to an airplay device (e.g. Apple TV, Airport Express)
If I’ve missed any, or provided inaccurate explanations, please comment below.